I recently was installing the Sitecore 9 with the brand new Sitecore Install Framework and ran into some installation issues.
The first issue was in the MS SQL version: it turned out that the installation doesn’t work with my MS SQL 2017 so I had to install the MS SQL 2016 SP1 to comply fully with the Sitecore compatibility table. The error text was:
Unable to connect to master or target server ‘xp0_Processing.Pools’. You must have a user with the same password in master or target server ‘xp0_Processing.Pools’.
However, that wasn’t the only installation problem I had. I figured out that when for some reason you want to re-run the installation process, you might have the following error:
msdeploy.exe : Error: .Net SqlClient Data Provider: Msg 12809, Level 16, State 1, Line 5 You must remove all users with password before setting the containment property to NONE. At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\SitecoreInstallFramework\1.0.2\Public\Tasks\Invoke-CommandTask.ps1:31 char:13 + & $Path $Arguments | Out-Default + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Error: .Net Sql...operty to NONE.:String) , RemoteException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError Error: Script execution error. The executed script: IF EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM [master].[dbo].[sysdatabases] WHERE [name] = N'$(DatabaseName)') BEGIN ALTER DATABASE [$(DatabaseName)] SET CONTAINMENT = N Error: Script execution error. The executed script: IF EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM [master].[dbo].[sysdatabases] WHERE [name] = N'$(DatabaseName)') BEGIN ALTER DATABASE [$(DatabaseName)] SET CONTAINMENT = N ONE WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE; END ONE WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE; END Error: .Net SqlClient Data Provider: Msg 5069, Level 16, State 1, Line 5 ALTER DATABASE statement failed.
The solution is to delete the following MS SQL Database users before re-running the installation:
- poolsuser in _Processing.Pools
- marketingautomationuser in _MarketingAutomation
- referencedatauser in _ReferenceData
And another problem you might run into – the 443 port is locked by another application. In this case the xconnect service fails to start with the following error:
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
The same error you may see during the installation process:
You can easily check what process is listening the 443 port by running the following command:
netstat -aon | find /i ":443"
Detect the PID in the command output and then check the process in your Task Manager:
In my case it was SOLR Bitnami processs so I moved the Bitnami SOLR instance to standalone SOLR.
Hope this tips can simplify and bring more fun into Sitecore 9 installation process!